Superb craftsmanship—both inside and out—defines A. Lange & Söhne. This full-fledged German manufacturer of its own movements and finished timepieces adheres to superior horological standards in each of the complex and elegant timepieces it creates.
While its current production of timepieces dates back to only 1990, A. Lange & Söhne’s roots rest in the 1800s. Founded in 1845 by Ferdinand Adolph Lange, the brand created fine German watches in the Saxony region for more than 100 years. However, World War II bombings decimated the workshops, and the subsequent expropriation of the company in 1948 by the socialist regime forced A. Lange & Söhne to cease operations altogether. Fourth-generation Walter Lange fled to the west with the communist takeover.
When the Berlin Wall fell in 1989, Walter Lange vowed to reestablish the family brand and tradition. A year later, with the help of IWC and the Richemont Group, this great German watchmaker reopened its doors in the city of Glashütte. The manufacturer set about creating its own movements and so it was not until 1994 that the new generation of A. Lange & Söhne watches appeared. Once again, the great German watchmaking tradition flourished. In 1997, the Manufacture unveiled the Sax-o-Mat and a year later the brand opened the Lange Watchmaking School in Glashütte. In 2000, the company reacquired its original headquarters.
Today, the brand creates its own movements and assembles its timepieces from start to finish in its Glashütte workshops—creating just a few thousand fine mechanical watches annually. The brand crafts only in 18-karat gold or platinum, and offers just a few important collections.